How To Import A Mailing List Into Business Catalyst
- Select E-Mail Marketing > Mailing Lists.
- Do one of the following:
- To import to an existing, click the name of the list.
- To create a new list, click Add Mailing List.
- Specify a mailing list name, and then click Save.
- Click the Import Recipients tab.
- Click Download Import Template and save the downloaded spreadsheet on your computer.
- Delete all content below the headings.
- Fill in the spreadsheet with the customer details (see section below for column details) and then save the spreadsheet as a .csv or .tab file.
- Back on the Business Catalyst page, click the Choose File button and select the .csv or .tab file on your computer.
- Click the Import button to import your list.
Import template colums explained
- Email Address
Contacts are generally identified by their email address. If an email address is provided and found in the system then the contact's details are updated otherwise they are added.
If you don't provide an email address and only a name then the contact is added each time regardless of whether a similar one already exists in the system.
Title of the customer, for example: Mr, Mrs.
- First Name
Customers first name
- Last Name
Customers last name.
- Company Name
If you provide a company name then a company is created and a relationship is created between the contact and the company (refer Relationships tab when viewing a customer record)
When creating companies the system first checks to see if a company with the same name exists. If it does then a relationship is created to the existing company othewise a new company is created.
- Custom Date
Custom Date column is only used when you import during the creation of a Campaign. You must be in Campaigns->Recipients tab. It is ignored at all other times.
If you are creating an ongoing loyalty campaign of type Birthday or Anniversary 1 to 5 then the value in this column will be saved for the contact. For example if you provide 1-Jul-74, and you are creating a birthday loyalty campaign then the contact's date of birth will be set to this value. Similarly if you are creating a campaign of type Anniversary 1 to 5 then this value will be saved against the contact for the respective anniversary date in the Anniversary tab.